Last revised September ●, 2015
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY.
1. Acceptance of Terms
2. Modifications and Notices
3. APTN Respects Your Privacy
APTN respects your privacy. That is why we have developed comprehensive privacy policies and procedures for the management of Personal Information. In this regard, we have developed the APTN Privacy Pledge, which can be viewed at http://aptn.ca/privacypledge/.
4. General Information
Our Internet servers may passively and automatically collect certain information about website visitors’ traffic patterns, which may be linked to their Internet Protocol (IP) addresses (which are unique Internet “addresses” assigned to all Internet users by their Internet Service Providers). Server logs may record statistical information, such as visitors’ IP addresses, type of operating systems, time and duration of visit, pages requested, and identify categories of visitors by items such as domains and browser types. These statistics are generally collected and used on an aggregate basis.
● Links to Third Party Websites: The Site may contain links to other websites that are provided as a convenience only, and which may have different privacy policies and practices than we do. We have no responsibility for these third party websites, and you are advised to review the privacy policies of any third party websites you choose to visit.
5. What Personal Information do we Collect, and how do we Collect it?
In the course of operating the Site, we have collected and will collect Personal Information from you, including:
● information you voluntarily submit to us, when you register an account or submit content to us, such as your user profile (including your name, username, password and email address). In some cases, you will be asked to provide information to a third party, such as when you submit billing information to service providers we use to process payments to us;
● information you voluntarily submit to us, when you contact us, such as your comments, suggestions and feedback;
● information you voluntarily submit to us, when you post, transmit or submit messages, opinions or other content, including, but not limited to, text, photographs, images, illustrations, graphics or multimedia clips and any other user generated content (collectively, “Submitted Materials“), to or through the Site (whether directly or indirectly, through third party websites and applications), and to interact with APTN and other users within, or in connection with, the Site; and
● information we may passively and automatically collect from you, such as your IP address, and other information about website visitors’ traffic patterns, as discussed above.
We collect your Personal Information when you sign up for an account, when you provide Submitted Materials to us and any other time when you choose to provide us your Personal Information. If you do not want to provide your Personal Information to us, then you should not use the Site or provide Submitted Materials.
We collect this Personal Information for the following purposes:
● to confirm your identity;
● to communicate with viewers and users of the Site;
● to respond to your requests for services and your questions;
● to advertise, develop, enhance and provide services and products to viewers and users of the Site, including sharing Submitted Materials to other users of the Site;
● to measure and improve the effectiveness of APTN’s services, products and marketing endeavours;
● to manage and develop APTN’s business operations, including to manage proposed or actual sales or leases of all or part of APTN’s business or assets;
● to protect viewers and APTN against error and fraud; and
● to carry out any other purpose that you have authorized or that is required or permitted by law.
6. What about Children?
Children under the age of 13 shall not be permitted to use the Site, without the express written consent of APTN, as indicated on the Site, or otherwise (in which case, such use shall be subject to such additional terms as may be set out, on the Site). Parents and legal guardians are responsible for ensuring their children do not the Site.
7. Does APTN disclose your Personal Information to Others?
APTN does not disclose Personal Information to third parties for any other purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required or permitted by law.
There are a variety of circumstances where we may need to disclose Personal Information to third parties. For example, APTN may disclose Personal Information to a third party engaged by us to perform functions on our behalf or to a public authority or agent of a public authority if, in the reasonable judgment of APTN, it appears that there is imminent danger to life or property which could be avoided or minimized by disclosure of the information.
8. Transfer of Personal Information to Service Providers outside Canada
We will only use Personal Information for the purposes that we identify to you. We may engage service providers to assist us with fulfilling these purposes, and, in some instances, these service providers may be located outside Canada. These service providers may include, but are not limited to, third parties that help us store data that we use as part of the Site.
We only select service providers that protect Personal Information in a manner that is comparable to the protection we provide under our own privacy policies. However, Personal Information may be subject to, and accessed under, the laws of the countries in which our service providers operate.
If you have any questions about our transfer of Personal Information to our service providers outside Canada, or if you would like to learn more about our privacy policies in that regard, please contact our Privacy Officer at the contact information provided below.
9. How does APTN safeguard your Personal Information?
APTN uses various means to help safeguard your Personal Information. Only authorized employees and agents have access to Personal Information. APTN employees who have access to Personal Information receive training regarding privacy protection. All computers on which Personal Information is stored are password protected. APTN uses data encryption to increase the security of the Personal Information you provide to us via the Site.
10. How long will we Retain your Personal Information?
We will keep your Personal Information for as long as is necessary for us to fulfill the Identified Purposes. Generally speaking, that means we will destroy or anonymize your Personal Information when your account with us is no longer active (in most cases, our retention period is one year). Despite this, in limited circumstances we may be required by law to keep your Personal Information for a longer period of time.
11. Your Consent/Verifying and Amending Personal Information
You may withdraw your consent for APTN to manage your Personal Information in a particular way, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. However, this may limit our ability to provide you with certain services and/or products. You may contact APTN for more information regarding the implications of withdrawing consent.
You can also access and review your Personal Information held by APTN and make appropriate changes to it by contacting APTN. You may be required to put your request in writing and show us identification. The reason we ask for identification is to ensure that, among other things, we do not unintentionally release your Personal Information to a third party who is representing him/her as you.
APTN can be reached:
Aboriginal Peoples Television Network
2nd Floor – 339 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2C3
Attention: APTN External Privacy Officer
You may update or request access to your Personal Information by writing or email to APTN at the addresses provided above.
13. Resolving Your Concerns
If you would like more information about APTN’s privacy practices, please contact the APTN External Privacy Officer. Please let us know about your questions or concerns and we will do our best to help you.