Winnipeg’s first homicide of 2019 father of two from northern Manitoba - APTN NewsAPTN News

Winnipeg’s first homicide of 2019 father of two from northern Manitoba

homicide Brittany Hobson
The family of a First Nations man who was shot and killed in Winnipeg on New Year’s Day says their hearts are broken over his death.

Adam Travis Martin, 31, was found just after 6 a.m. in the city’s Elmwood neighbourhood.

Martin was found outside a residence in the neighbourhood and transferred to hospital where he later died.

Angela Martin says the family is in shock after the death of her brother.

“Adam was a great man…he didn’t deserve to be killed,” Martin told APTN News through Facebook messenger.

“He loved the outdoors. He lived for trapping, hunting and fishing. He spent [the] majority of his life out in the bush.”

homicide

(Angela Martin with her brother in an undated photo. Courtesy of the family)

Martin says her brother was a father of two children.

The family is originally from Sagkeeng First Nation but grew up in the northern Manitoba community of Gillam.

Martin says her brother was just visiting the city.

Adam Martin is the city’s first homicide of 2019.

Police say regardless of the date a family is dealing with a tragedy.

“Really the date in arbitrary,” Const. Rob Carver told reporters Wednesday. “It’s 6 o’clock in the morning on a frigid day, someone’s been shot and killed. A family’s been traumatized.

Police have released few details surrounding the homicide.

As the family tries to deal with the loss, Martin says she will remember her brother as someone who loved life.

“If anyone was down he would always find a way to brighten up the situation and get a laugh from anybody no matter what was going on.”

bhobson@aptn.ca

@bhobs22

Tags: , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Winnipeg’s first homicide of 2019 father of two from northern Manitoba”

1. Creedajeat@icloud.com'
    Ruby January 9, 2019 at 6:30 am #

It a great loss and he was a traditional young man who loved the land, so sorry and prayers for the family and community

2. Mckay.19@gmail.com'
    Katherine McKay Pronchuk January 6, 2019 at 8:05 pm #

So sorry to here about Adam. Deepest sympathy.

3. leona-bacon@outlook.com'
    Leona January 5, 2019 at 10:04 pm #

Im so Sorry for your Loss , Our Sincere Condolences to the family

4. mzblondie68@outlook.com'
    Darlene January 5, 2019 at 2:41 am #

I’m so sorry for your loss and my condolences to you and your children and all the family!! May he rest in paradise

• thomasministries@yahoo.com'
      anne v thomas January 6, 2019 at 5:23 am #

my heart goes out to the martin family, may you all find peace knowing he will never suffer,and always loving you till you meet him again

• Chslmerssheri600@gmail.com'
      Sher January 9, 2019 at 2:55 am #

5. bouxy11@gmail.com'
    MJ Boux January 4, 2019 at 10:20 pm #

Sheri I do not know you …but I feel for you and Adam’s family for such a great loss.why this awful stuff happens to good people is beyond anyone’s comprehension .I’m sad for you and your words show what a great dedicated woman you are too .May God bless you n the family in these hard times and may your loved ones strength walk with you in your heart every day…so so meaningless tragic and chicken shit to do such cowardly acts of violence ..Life will deal harshly with the guilty !!

6. suero@shaw.ca'
    Sue January 4, 2019 at 7:00 pm #

It is undoubtedly sad that someone felt it necessary to end someone else’s life. I send you and his children much love and hope that you find support during this tragic time.

• Chalmerssheri600@gmail.com'
      Sheri January 9, 2019 at 2:54 am #

7. llthiffeault@outlook.com'
    Linda January 4, 2019 at 5:43 pm #

So sorry for your loss Sheri-lynn!

8. sophiastreet592@gmail.com'
    Kevin January 4, 2019 at 3:48 pm #

Winnipeg is a disgusting city, better off in Iraq

9. jnnelson17@hotmail.com'
    Joan January 4, 2019 at 6:14 am #

Rip sorry for your lost

10. jnnelson17@hotmail.com'
    Joan January 4, 2019 at 6:12 am #

Sorry. For your lost rip

11. davisonanne5@gmail.com'
    Anne Davison January 4, 2019 at 5:28 am #

This kind of crime and evil must stop!

12. Chalmerssheri600@gmail.com'
    Sheri January 4, 2019 at 1:46 am #

Adam Martin was my future .
    Adam was living with me and ny children the day he died he was simply going to do the new years eve well wishing to everyone he could think of . Adams plans were to soon return to trapping and hunting and to spend life closer to his family . His children mattered and he was very much needing to be with them and was trying to find rideback to his home to get his life back to the natural way where it belonged ! Adam and i planned to live a life away from the city and away from violence and problems that come for aboriginal men and boys in a city that seemingly targets them along with young indigenous women .there is no good reason Adam was murdered . There is no way it was a drug related homocide and of this iam certain . I know Adam was on his way back to me and i wish that he here now . I found so much comfort in his arms he lived life lto fullest and was open to all things …. Adam was my friend and my husband to be and although our time was short i will carry hom with me until the dayci leave this earth but in the mean time i will try to do my best to honour his memory by whatever means i can to help where i can those who are in need and to be strong like him .
    Goodbye my Adam i love you always and iam always yours always always yours…. until we meet again ….
    Sheri-Lynn

• llthiffeault@outlook.com'
      Linda January 4, 2019 at 5:43 pm #

So sorry for your lost Sheri-lynn!

• inseinecasey@gmail.com'
      Casey J January 4, 2019 at 6:22 pm #

I do not know you Sheri-Lynn, but my heart goes out to you and all that knew Adam. Such a senseless loss for all.
      Be strong for the children & honour their father.

• Plazas3@yahoo.ca'
      Julie January 5, 2019 at 6:16 pm #

Sheri-Lyn
      I am so sorry for your loss.
      Praying for you all during this difficult time