Body found in Thunder Bay is missing youth from Webequie: chief - APTN NewsAPTN News

Body found in Thunder Bay is missing youth from Webequie: chief

Willow Fiddler
The body found on a Thunder Bay golf course late Sunday morning is that of a missing 17-year-old youth, the chief of Webequie First Nation confirmed.

Chief Cornelius Wabasse told APTN News the family met with police around 7:45 p.m. Sunday.

“The forensic team came in first and then the coroner called to reaffirm that it was Braiden, the body that was found this morning,” said Wabasse.

Braiden Jacob was reported missing Dec. 6.

His family had last seen him on Wednesday night when he left the hotel they were staying in. They started searching for him when he didn’t return later that night.

Community volunteers began an organized search for the missing teen on Thursday afternoon.

The youth was in the city for ongoing counselling services for trauma and grief, according to Wabasse.

“They’re very distraught, I mean it’s very emotional. Not just with the family but the extended family too,” he said.

“Even the community is impacted by the loss of a young man.”

Jacob was from Webequie, a fly-in community approximately 600 km north of Thunder Bay.

On Saturday, Thunder Bay police released further details of Jacob’s disappearance including a description of what he was wearing.

They said the youth was last seen in the early Thursday in the Limbrick area. His body was found on the golf course in Chapples Park less than 3 km away.

In a media release Sunday afternoon, police said they were dispatched to the park area around 11:30 a.m when a passerby reported a possible body.

It’s the same area where Tammy Keeash was found drowned in the floodway that runs through the park May 2017 – and the body of 32-year-old William Wapoose was discovered in September 2014.

His homicide remains unsolved.

Anna Betty Achneepineskum of Nishnawbe Aski Nation expressed frustration on Facebook over the of health services available on-reserve.

“Why is it that we have to bring our children out to an urban centre to get counselling service?” said Achneepineskum.

“It’s not right that we have a system that continues to jeopardize our children’s safety.”

Community members from Thunder Bay and other First Nations gathered on Sunday to offer support to Jacob’s family and community.

The body has been taken to Toronto for a post-mortem.

wfiddler@aptn.ca

@WillowBlasizzo

Tags: , , ,

48 Responses to “Body found in Thunder Bay is missing youth from Webequie: chief”

1. sewgirldeb@gmail.com'
    Debby Palmer December 16, 2018 at 3:50 pm #

It appears quite obvious that there is a serial killer targeting Indigenous people and youth in Thunder Bay. This is heartbreaking to have such a young and promising life cut short in his prime. When will Canada step up and do everything possible to respect and protect Indigenous peoples, put more resources into investigating the missing and murdered and bring those responsible to justice. Real justice!
    My deepest sympathies to Jacob’s family and community. Praying for comfort, peace and healing for all who grieve this great loss of a beautiful life.

2. s*********@gmail.com'
    Debby Palmer February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

3. debjmuich@gmail.com'
    Deb December 15, 2018 at 1:24 pm #

My heart goes out to the family of this sweet boy, and to the other families of the others murdered. Here in Missouri, the racism is different, as we don’t see many indigenous people. But it still makes me sick. I only recently learned of these crimes against First Nation people, and honestly didn’t know it was still going on. Heartbreaking!! Praying for justice for all!

4. d********@gmail.com'
    Deb February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

5. Epicdomz@yahoo.com'
    Justice December 14, 2018 at 4:03 pm #

What’s so disturbing is that they have technology to find DNA and other evidence through science, and it’s rare to get away with murder ,but you can only get away with it if you kill a Indian person, and how can they allow murderers to run free?send them all to jail ,and justice for all.

• ksamms1@gmail.com'
      Karen December 15, 2018 at 2:07 pm #

I am not Native and I live in the U.S., but it is only recently that I started to hear about this stuff. I can’t believe these things are happening to the Native people and it has not been news. What the hell is going on? I have always considered the things that happened to indigenous people in the United States to be genocide. So it is still happening. This is barbaric.

6. e*******@yahoo.com'
    Justice February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

• k******@gmail.com'
      Karen February 20, 2019 at 12:34 am #

7. Cj20462046@gmail.com'
    FirstNation1 December 11, 2018 at 2:13 am #

This problem lies within the lineage and history of Canada.. it’s called the KKK!! It’s time people wake up!! Quit hiding the truth?? That’s why our children and women are dying!!

8. michelle_yeck@hotmail.com'
    Migiizi Kwe December 10, 2018 at 9:18 pm #

This absolutely sickens me! There is no reason that a young life is taken! Its abhorrent that so many Anishnabe are missing and killed in this same area. There is something horribly wrong in Thunder Bay!
    Warmth and love to this family. I send them strength and offer tobacco, I smudge in your son, brother’s, cousin’s honour. I cry for our people!!!

9. c*********@gmail.com'
    FirstNation1 February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

10. christina9sayers@gmail.com'
    Christina December 10, 2018 at 6:52 pm #

There must be an inside rule or law Canada knows about that the Indigenous ppl know nothing about. To many Natives come up missing or murdered. Same thing in tha United States. Tha worst is neva knowing wha happened to tha missing. I can’t imagine.

11. Dazzee51@yahoo.com'
    Chris taylor December 10, 2018 at 4:41 pm #

This makes me so angry. In our supposedly safe country this is not right any child or person should have the resources to heal at home and be safe. the killers are animals. My heart breaks for this beautiful boy to lose his life. Our native people should have every opportunity we all have. My grandkids are Metis and I love their spirit and freedom As all kinds dis should have

12. louisalouaube@gmail.com'
    Louisa Lou Aube December 10, 2018 at 4:30 pm #

I feel so sad for the lost of this young boy allait à manger who had a whole life to live! Sending my best thoughts to the family and friends touched by his death…. we all are as human being.. . Peace be with you Jacob….

13. nickers169@hotmail.com'
    Jenna December 10, 2018 at 4:22 pm #

R.I.P.
    Love and light to all that knew and love him.
    If there have been multiple bodies found in the same vicinity. Perhaps there is a serial murderer.
    The Thunder Bay Police need to step up and prevent the murders of Indigenous peoples. The systemic disregard is disgusting.

14. Winsdaybutterfly@yahoo.ca'
    Corey December 10, 2018 at 4:22 pm #

I’m sorry for the loss of your son. The racism in Thunder Bay is the worst ever the people in Thunder Bay know something I pray and hope for for answers that who ever had any thing to do with the death of your son gets bought to real justice

15. m************@hotmail.com'
    Migiizi Kwe February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

16. doeskin27@hotmail.com'
    Melissa December 10, 2018 at 2:16 pm #

It is hard to counsel one to cope with life when life continues to pressure them to realize they are not welcome.

17. c***************@gmail.com'
    Christina February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

18. me@you.com'
    Erin December 10, 2018 at 11:54 am #

I’m so very sorry for the loss of this young man’s life Whoever has done this horrific act, as well as the others, you’re going to burn.

May the victims of these murders RIP.

19. d*******@yahoo.com'
    Chris taylor February 19, 2019 at 8:10 pm #

20. l************@gmail.com'
    Louisa Lou Aube February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

21. sharonannecriss@hotmail.com'
    Sharon O'Neil December 10, 2018 at 11:28 am #

This is devastating to a family and we pray that justice will be served for this young First Nation boy. Praying for his family who only came to the city for counselling and now they have lost their 17 year old son. What kind of world are we living in when people to this kind of evil to a little young boy.

Praying that justice will be served and that he will not just be another stastic.

May our Lord and Saviour be with this family and community as they try and deal with this devastating news.

22. n*********@hotmail.com'
    Jenna February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

R.I.P.
    Love and light to all that knew and love him.

23. w***************@yahoo.ca'
    Corey February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

24. d********@hotmail.com'
    Melissa February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

25. fallinglikerain1@gmail.com'
    René Swan December 10, 2018 at 7:50 am #

My heart goes out to the family, friends and all who knew and loved this young man. May it bring them peace to know that he is with The Creator. May you all rest in this knowledge.
    Meegwetch,
    René Swan

26. k_polhill@outlook.com'
    Kaelee December 10, 2018 at 7:03 am #

I’m so sorry little Angel. This is unacceptable I hope one day that justice is found for you and everyone else who was before you. Thunder Bay needs to do better our country needs to do better. Thoughts, prayers and condolences to all affected by this tragic loss.

27. m*@you.com'
    Erin February 19, 2019 at 7:57 pm #

May the victims of these murders RIP.

28. s**************@hotmail.com'
    Sharon O'Neil February 19, 2019 at 7:57 pm #

29. wagreene7721@yahoo.com'
    Wanda Greene December 10, 2018 at 5:41 am #

It sounds like Native people need to be in numbers, even in the daylight. This is something I see in Hispanic grade schools. I taught my nieces and nephews to yell at the top of their voices if someone tried to “steal” them. That was at ages of 3 years of age. They are now in their 40s. I made them practice their screams. As adults, it wouldn’t hurt to be watching out for one another. Safety in numbers. THIS TYPE OF CRIME HAS TO STOP, IMMEDIATELY!! Your voice has to be heard. No more silence. Demand your rights! Be alert!! Be beyond reproach in public and at home. Love your family, tribal people, and yourself.***

30. lumberjack24@live.ca'
    Adrienne December 10, 2018 at 5:34 am #

I am so saddened by the lack of response and action from our leaders to step up and protect indigenous children. This life is not forever and one day we will all pay for our actions. The sad truth is you do not truly value children. Racists are being hateful murders in Thunder Bay while the country Canada stands by and watches. #genocide #trudeaugovernment

31. nishbabe_27@hotmail.com'
    Mama Bear December 10, 2018 at 5:15 am #

They need to have some sort of services available to these youth. Where they won’t need to leave home.

32. tenorio333@yahoo.com'
    Yolanda December 10, 2018 at 4:54 am #

I am so veey sorr for the loss of this young man I pray for him, his family and al his loved ones. I hope they find peace that people are praying for him and know he is with our Creator❤. I also pray that whoever hurt him, and who hurt those others who were found in that park too, will be caught and brought to justice.

• fallinglikerain1@gmail.com'
      René Swan December 10, 2018 at 7:44 am #

Meegwetch,
      René Swan

33. dolores.bazil7@gmail.com'
    Dolores Bazil December 10, 2018 at 3:47 am #

Sadly, its racism. Pure hatred. The problem isn’t health care issues on-reserve its our leaders, teachers, parents not taking action to save a nation (Indigenous) clearly in trouble, and for decades, a millenial!

• johnanddebg@yahoo.com'
      Deb December 10, 2018 at 5:38 am #

If we look for the good we will find it…
      there are many people who care for and love
      indigenous people… we are not all racist .. it’s so hard to hear this over and over .. I love people of all race,
      Color, and nation ..
      it is unfortunate but there are many people who suffer
      From racism … not just the indigenous… let’s remember that and pray for everyone… let’s unite .. not tear people apart ❤️

• Ramonaladouceur@gmail.com'
      Ramona December 10, 2018 at 5:50 am #

Jordans Principle program is suppose to be hiring councellors to go ontocommunities to provide services.. Another gap in the system not offering what they should be to the First Nations people. May Braiden Jacob’s spirit voice be heard and ensure all children are treated equally in this cruel society.

34. f***************@gmail.com'

Meegwetch,
      René Swan

40. d*************@gmail.com'
    Dolores Bazil February 19, 2019 at 7:57 pm #

• j**********@yahoo.com'
      Deb February 19, 2019 at 8:04 pm #

If we look for the good we will find it…
      there are many people who care for and love