An agreement has been reached by lawyers that will no longer delay the national ‘60s Scoop class-action settlement agreement, APTN News has learned.
This means there will be no more appeals or attempts to appeal the court-approved agreement, says a letter obtained by APTN.
That means the $875-million settlement will have an implementation date of Dec. 1, 2018, say the letter signed by Catharine Moore, the lawyer for Canada.
Moore says the deal was reached after Canada and other respondents agreed not to sue opposing lawyers for legal costs.
The agreement was signed by Moore and 15 other lawyers over the past few days.
“Counsel executing this letter have discussed this agreement with their respective clients,” says the letter that was sent to the court Monday.
“Their respective clients agree to its terms and have confirmed that they will not take any further steps of any kind whatsoever to delay implementation of the settlement.”
The amount of the costs was not disclosed.
“We wrote to three different judges (Monday),” added Kirk Baert, a partner with Koskie Minsky – one of the legal firms that brokered the settlement agreement.
“Telling them of the agreement and that implementation would happen on December 1.”
This ends the attempts by a small group of adult adoptees to alter or halt the agreement, including questions about $75 million in legal fees.
The fees are going to four legal firms separately from the compensation to the Scoop survivors and had been a sticking point in the negotiations.
Survivors will share $750 million in individual compensation payments of between $25,000 and $50,000.
Ottawa has set aside another $50 million for a foundation dedicated to reconciliation initiatives.