‘I didn’t think it was serious’ Rachel Snow gets sued by her band council for speaking out - APTN NewsAPTN News

Tamara Pimentel
A woman from the Stoney Nakoda First Nation, who has been vocal on social media about what she says is her leadership’s lack of transparency, is being sued by her band council.

Rachel Snow says the suit – seeking $1 million in damages – is meant to silence her.

tpimentel@aptn.ca

@Tamara_APTN

Tags: , , , ,

32 Responses to “‘I didn’t think it was serious’ Rachel Snow gets sued by her band council for speaking out”

1. farronatkinson924@gmail.com'
    Farron Atkinson November 7, 2018 at 7:31 pm #

What about acountersuit

2. f****************@gmail.com'
    Farron Atkinson February 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm #

What about acountersuit

3. berniceheather45@gmail.com'
    Bernice November 6, 2018 at 4:18 pm #

In higher education, all points of view are required in research of land claims. Lower education obviously it is not required.

4. b***************@gmail.com'
    Bernice February 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm #

5. maria.r@telus.net'
    Maria Rogers November 3, 2018 at 4:13 pm #

I applaud your bravery in bringing these matters to national attention.
    Our leaders in all governing bodies must be accountable and live with integrity… go dear mother… you are leading the way to a new paradigm and a new earth!

6. m******@telus.net'
    Maria Rogers February 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm #

I applaud your bravery in bringing these matters to national attention.

7. sjstephens301@yahoo.com'
    Sylvia Stephens November 2, 2018 at 4:58 am #

Takes guts to challenge corruption.
    Been there and proud if it.

8. lenape_noohum@hotmail.com'
    Teresa Johnson November 2, 2018 at 1:09 am #

My questions are not answered either. Some councillors here try to keep me quiet. Especially when I ask questions about them or their families and the wrongs they have done. They even banned me from attending council meetings as an observer.

9. s************@yahoo.com'
    Sylvia Stephens February 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm #

Takes guts to challenge corruption.
    Been there and proud if it.

10. l************@hotmail.com'
    Teresa Johnson February 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm #

11. D2ui.dnp@gmail.com'
    Dianna North Peigan November 1, 2018 at 3:55 pm #

Sad it happens on every reserve…we cannot b Nations until we resolve these same issues…accountability n transparency ..
    You go gurl…i support you…

12. junebthomas3@gmail.com'
    Sheniwenikwe November 1, 2018 at 2:46 pm #

This is so typical of the C&C and I commend Rachel for standing up for her rights as well as the rights of her community. Unfortunately, she is not the only community member demanding accountability and transparency. It doesn’t help when the communities have their own band custom structures in place, the elected must respect the structure in order for it to work, therefore, I pray Rachel sets a strong precendent for all the communities across the nation that are living under oppressed dictatorship from our own elected people.

13. d*******@gmail.com'
    Dianna North Peigan February 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm #

You go gurl…i support you…

14. j***********@gmail.com'
    Sheniwenikwe February 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm #

15. endensum777@gmail.com'
    Darla November 1, 2018 at 1:28 am #

We are!!..First Nations, And our voices need to be heard. “-Rachael Snow

16. tigerlover049@hotmail.com'
    'Tiger' Will Mason November 1, 2018 at 12:46 am #

Don’t stay silent.

17. e**********@gmail.com'
    Darla February 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm #

We are!!..First Nations, And our voices need to be heard. “-Rachael Snow

18. denredmond@gmail.com'
    Denise October 31, 2018 at 9:21 pm #

What Snow is asking for is not at all unreasonable. If she can raise financial support to fight this attempt to muzzle her, she may set a huge precedent for how land management-designation is conducted in other indigenous communities. I would certainly support her. Transparency is vital to small communities to share power and respect the rights of all in the community.

• niin007@yahoo.ca'
      BD Cochrane November 7, 2018 at 8:26 pm #

gofundme?

19. t************@hotmail.com'
    'Tiger' Will Mason February 19, 2019 at 6:44 pm #

Don’t stay silent.

20. d*********@gmail.com'
    Denise February 19, 2019 at 6:44 pm #

• n******@yahoo.ca'
      BD Cochrane February 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm #

gofundme?

21. Alandlisa2015@outlook.com'
    Allan Mychasiw Sr October 31, 2018 at 3:48 pm #

Tamara, we all seem to have the same problem . Our c & c does not respond to our questions. Always seems to have an agenda. Do what they can to see close family have jobs & keep the membership un informed. Transparency “RULES ” applies to all. They will have their own ☆DAY☆ with the ☆ CREATOR ☆Tell me if you can look in the mirror and see someone you can TRUST. . 2 sets of books $$$$$$ gone ???? TRANSPARENCY. In my opinion. God bless & have a good day people .

22. r_jwhitehead@hotmail.com'
    Robert Whitehead October 31, 2018 at 2:48 pm #

I commend this lady for speaking out. Many of our First Nations’ people been silenced in many ways, including threats to their financial security and other practices by government sponsored Band Councils who openly exercise financial terrorism on many First Nations.

• a1_mohawk@hotmail.com'

I believe I can attest to that as well

25. judymead@mwt.net'
    Judy Mead October 31, 2018 at 12:25 am #

She’s right!

26. danwichp@hotmail.com'
    Pete October 30, 2018 at 11:46 pm #

Only makes them look ridiculous, petty, wasteful of time and resources.

27. j*******@mwt.net'
    Judy Mead February 19, 2019 at 6:44 pm #

She’s right!

28. d*******@hotmail.com'
    Pete February 19, 2019 at 6:44 pm #

Only makes them look ridiculous, petty, wasteful of time and resources.