Woman found dead in B.C. had plans to document her travels on the road - APTN NewsAPTN News

Woman found dead in B.C. had plans to document her travels on the road

Charlotte Morritt-Jacobs
A woman who was found dead in British Columbia this week had contacted APTN News earlier in July about documenting her hitchhiking adventures.

The body of 27-year-old Brittany Martel was discovered by a motorist on Hwy 5 south of Merritt, B.C., 127 kilometres west of Kelowna.

Her family confirmed the woman’s identity.

Martel had disappeared before.

In mid-June, she was last seen in West Kelowna, B.C.

Family and friends were concerned for Martel’s health and well-being and her cell phone was no longer working.

A missing persons report was filed and posted by RCMP which stated that Martel was planning to hitchhike to the N.W.T. and said she may be travelling with a male friend.

On July 3 she arrived back home safely in Hay River, NWT.

Because Martel travelled often in B.C., APTN reached out to her on Facebook on July 9 to talk about the cancellation of the Greyhound bus routes in Western Canada.

She, in turn, contacted APTN and left a voicemail on July 11 saying she wanted to talk about her experiences on the road.

“Hi, this is Brittany Martel calling. I just got your message on Facebook, on messenger and I am interested in, if you are interested in my story of how I went hitchhiking,” said Martel’s message on the APTN’s voicemail.

“It is very long, I would tell you day by day what I went through. Yeah, I am interested in telling you what I said.”

Listen to the voicemail here:

She left Hay River sometime after this.

Martel’s body was discovered July 23 near the Mine Cree Rd according to the police.

According to media reports, police weren’t clear on how long Martel had been there.

“It’s sort of a catch-22. There is nothing right now to point to it being suspicious but at the same time given where she was found and the circumstances in which she was found and that it does make it suspicious until we rule out a cause of death,” RCMP Staff Sgt. Lorne Wood told the Merrit Herald.

Martel was loved by many.

Her Facebook timeline was flooded as news reached her home community.

Her cousin Jessica Martel wrote on Facebook, “No mother should ever bury her child💔😭 Im so sorry aunty ❤ I don’t wanna let you go bree you were something very special to me and I thought we still had a lot of memories to make”…”Gonna miss you so much big cuz .”

APTN reached out to her friends who did not wish to comment until the family had prepared a statement.

cmorrittjacobs@aptn.ca

@aptncharlotte

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

70 Responses to “Woman found dead in B.C. had plans to document her travels on the road”

1. ben_fp19@outlook.com'
    Ben F. Pierre July 31, 2018 at 10:41 pm #

Prayers to Brittany Martel and to her family and friends. This is devastating and the case needs to have a conclusion on the circumstances, suspicious or not! Leaves a void for the family and if foul play is involved then the family and community needs the truth.
    Any hitchhiking is risky, especially giving the Highway of Tears in the Interior. These young ladies or men shouldn’t do this. So Sadd!!!

2. b*******@outlook.com'
    Ben F. Pierre February 19, 2019 at 8:26 pm #

3. ledacedar@gmail.com'
    Leda Cedar July 30, 2018 at 11:26 pm #

I still remember when Nicole Hoar went missing and massive billboard posters lined Hwy #16, now known as #The Hwy of Tears. I was the MH counsellor at Dze L K’ant Friendship Centre in Smithers, BC and the RCMP would barely give me a moment’s attention, let alone listen and enquire, or simply care… and I’m a White woman. I felt unsafe there and made to feel unimportant. It was intimidation to the maximum that I observed from their machismo body language, stone cold angryman faces, & verbal language. It shouted that it was an institution of sexism & racism, alibg with potentially misogyny/unsafe space for every woman, but especially Indigenous Women & Men and persons of colour. I was there from January 2000- November 2002.

4. l********@gmail.com'
    Leda Cedar February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

5. Cate-fox@hotmail.com'
    Cate July 29, 2018 at 12:31 pm #

Aptn wanted to do a story on this young ladies hitch hiking journey…
    Where was her family…
    Why would she do such a thing…
    The millions of dollars spent on aboriginal women missing and murdered… spent in earnest.
    When all that needs to be conveyed is common sense. Perhaps the millions spent could have been better utilized in transportation systems or bus fares.
    There are many people of every race and colour that are missing and murdered and there is no millions of dollars being spent to find out why or who.
    Especially when drugs and alchohol are a root cause. Those persons are truly forgotten but only remembered and searched for by their own families, by placing posters in communities. They have no support by government nor RCMP nor the community. It is a sad, sad state of affairs.
    This needed to be said.

6. c*******@hotmail.com'
    Cate February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

Aptn wanted to do a story on this young ladies hitch hiking journey…
    Where was her family…
    Why would she do such a thing…
    This needed to be said.

7. Tinasuch_a_doll@outlook.com'
    Tina suchodoski July 29, 2018 at 12:09 am #

Please contact me in regards to an incident tat happened a few years ago with a trucker

8. t**************@outlook.com'
    Tina suchodoski February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

9. schappertmelody@gmail.com'
    Mel July 28, 2018 at 5:10 pm #

My sympathies to her surviving family. RIP dear child.

10. s**************@gmail.com'
    Mel February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

My sympathies to her surviving family. RIP dear child.

11. Kellywendy524@gmail.com'
    Wendy kelly July 28, 2018 at 9:27 am #

Love and prayers for strength to deal with such a tragic loss of your beautiful girl!

12. k************@gmail.com'
    Wendy kelly February 19, 2019 at 8:26 pm #

13. klswakum7@gmail.com'
    Kay Swakum July 27, 2018 at 1:57 pm #

So sorry to hear the outcome of this young aboriginal lady. It is heartbreaking to read this. Condolences are out to this family…

14. k********@gmail.com'
    Kay Swakum February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

15. michele.todd@gmail.com'
    Michele Veronica July 27, 2018 at 5:38 am #

Blessings and love to all the friends and family, this must be heartbreaking, I am so sorry.

16. Sari@hitmsil.com'
    Sari July 27, 2018 at 4:54 am #

Our government needs to realize this and have a plan for people needing to travel from rural communities. They fund many things to make things right so help these people out. With no bus services available look at figuring out some safe transportation. No person man or women should have to be putting themselves at risk.

• Pelder88@hotmail.com'
      Lacey July 31, 2018 at 5:09 pm #

There is a bus system in place!

17. mlfayant@hotmail.com'
    Lisa July 27, 2018 at 2:51 am #

Why don’t people know about the dangers of strangers and hitchhiking?? Every day that danger increases, there is a significant chance you will never be seen or heard from again. Are you really alright with that?? Older people should also set this example for younger people and also for their kids. Why would you hitchhike??

• Roflollipops@hotmail.com'
      S July 30, 2018 at 5:14 am #

For some its the only means of travel. You should really look into some thibgs firsthand before commenting. Especially on something such as this where your words could have a huge impact on what families are already going through.

• Pelder88@hotmail.com'
        Lacey July 31, 2018 at 5:11 pm #

You should look into things also. There is a bus system in place!

• jadis@riseup.net'
        Jay August 7, 2018 at 2:00 pm #

True that! Judgement is no way to support when you don’t know the reasons behind people’s choices. thanks S.

18. 2015.janeymichael@gmail.com'
    Janey July 27, 2018 at 2:41 am #

This sadden me. Why? or No sence? This young girl wanted to tell her stories, ” hitch hiking” ; unfortunately she will never have that chance. My prayers and stenght to her family especially her mother or grandmother. No mother should out live her child. How many more mothers will cry with broken heart and spirit for their child (ren)? For the young girls who continue to take that chance of life; please think twice or ask someone before you take that road. You are all angels. Ask or seek assistance, there is someone’s angel out there who is willing to lending a helping hand too. :'(

19. m***********@gmail.com'
    Michele Veronica February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

20. springs_guy@hotmail.com'
    Robert Lafferty July 27, 2018 at 1:20 am #

My condolences to your family. Such a tragic outcome on her journey. RIP young lady

21. s***@hitmsil.com'
    Sari February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

• p*******@hotmail.com'
      Lacey February 19, 2019 at 10:35 pm #

There is a bus system in place!

22. bettyann555@yahoo.ca'
    Betty Ann Betsedea July 26, 2018 at 11:40 pm #

Sorry to hear. Prayers out to the family & friends.

23. grandmaheide1960@gmail.com'
    Heide July 26, 2018 at 11:06 pm #

RIP Brittany Martel ❌⭕️
    My heartfelt condolences to all

24. m*******@hotmail.com'
    Lisa February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

• r***********@hotmail.com'
      S February 19, 2019 at 11:46 pm #

• p*******@hotmail.com'
        Lacey February 20, 2019 at 12:20 am #

You should look into things also. There is a bus system in place!

• j****@riseup.net'
        Jay February 20, 2019 at 12:20 am #

25. 2****************@gmail.com'
    Janey February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

26. charleneducks@hotmail.com'
    Charlene July 26, 2018 at 10:37 pm #

Heartbreaking, rest easy

27. debbiemacdonald45@gmail.com'
    Debbie MacDonald July 26, 2018 at 10:25 pm #

So sad that this young woman is gone. My condolences to all her family and friends.
    RIP Sister

28. s**********@hotmail.com'
    Robert Lafferty February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

29. gloriakotchea@gmail.com'
    Gloria Kotchea July 26, 2018 at 8:31 pm #

Prayers to her family and friends! Sad to hear of the news.

• veraquilt@outlook.com'
      Vera Quilt July 26, 2018 at 9:53 pm #

Condolences go out to the family! Hugs and Prayers!

30. Jenniferkirkwood69@gmail.com'
    Jenn July 26, 2018 at 8:10 pm #

This is insane. Image she won’t be the only one! I am going to have to hitch hike from quesnel to kamloops to see my specialist for my lung disease….your kids will be doing it 2. The government buys out every large company…they need to buy put grey hound get better smaller buses and continue this service. ASAP

• charlieleah@comcast.net'
      patty July 26, 2018 at 11:36 pm #

jenn please reconsider!!!! set up a go fund me account and ask for help with transport for your much needed medical visits!!!

• taunatucker13@gmail.com'
      TL July 27, 2018 at 3:54 am #

There is a medical bus that runs from Quesnel, why hitch hike? Book appointments around that schedule and be safe rather than sorry

• leanne-robertson@hotmail.com'
      Leanne July 27, 2018 at 6:52 am #

Northern Health bus goes through Quesnel and can get you to cache creek at least.Maybe you can get a specialist in Vancouver so you can a ride on this bus all the way.It’s $40 round trip to Vancouver.They have a website.Stay safe

• wanitacook13@gmail.com'
      Wanita July 29, 2018 at 7:15 am #

Check into northern health bus. Possibly an option.

31. b**********@yahoo.ca'
    Betty Ann Betsedea February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

Sorry to hear. Prayers out to the family & friends.

32. g***************@gmail.com'
    Heide February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

RIP Brittany Martel ❌⭕️
    My heartfelt condolences to all

33. c************@hotmail.com'
    Charlene February 19, 2019 at 9:35 pm #

Heartbreaking, rest easy

34. d****************@gmail.com'
    Debbie MacDonald February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

RIP Sister

35. joannehusak123@gmail.com'
    Joe July 26, 2018 at 6:20 pm #

Very sorry to hear this. I’m not sure why anyone would hitchhike in BC anymore though. It doesn’t make sense.

• Kianalanee@gmail.com'
      Ki July 27, 2018 at 2:09 am #

Because bushes do not accommodate small rural areas. The closest city that has a bus route from my home town is 500km. So hitchhiking is what has to be done.

36. cfallan@hotmail.com'
    charlene July 26, 2018 at 6:12 pm #

Condolences and hugs to the family. I truly am so sorry for your loss.

37. g************@gmail.com'
    Gloria Kotchea February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

Prayers to her family and friends! Sad to hear of the news.

• v********@outlook.com'
      Vera Quilt February 20, 2019 at 12:07 am #

Condolences go out to the family! Hugs and Prayers!

38. j*****************@gmail.com'
    Jenn February 19, 2019 at 9:35 pm #

• c**********@comcast.net'
      patty February 20, 2019 at 12:07 am #

• t************@gmail.com'
      TL February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

• l***************@hotmail.com'
      Leanne February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

• w***********@gmail.com'
      Wanita February 19, 2019 at 10:35 pm #

Check into northern health bus. Possibly an option.

39. kristytanche@gmail.com'
    Kristy July 26, 2018 at 3:12 pm #

My condolences go out to her family and friends.

40. j*************@gmail.com'
    Joe February 19, 2019 at 9:35 pm #

• k*********@gmail.com'
      Ki February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

41. c******@hotmail.com'
    charlene February 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

Condolences and hugs to the family. I truly am so sorry for your loss.

42. jettozzy03@gmail.com'
    Sharlene July 26, 2018 at 12:27 pm #

This is so heartbreaking n my condolences to her mom. Family

43. k***********@gmail.com'
    Kristy February 19, 2019 at 9:35 pm #

My condolences go out to her family and friends.

44. j*********@gmail.com'
    Sharlene February 19, 2019 at 9:35 pm #

This is so heartbreaking n my condolences to her mom. Family

45. sumas_toni@hotmail.ca'
    Toni Silver July 26, 2018 at 5:50 am #

My condolences go out to her family and friends…

46. Db1208@live.com'
    Diana Boston July 26, 2018 at 5:28 am #

R.I.P. sweet angel

47. katannken@hotmail.com'
    Kathryn Kennedy July 26, 2018 at 4:25 am #

My heart and thoughts are with the family.

48. s*********@hotmail.ca'
    Toni Silver February 19, 2019 at 9:35 pm #

My condolences go out to her family and friends…

49. d*****@live.com'
    Diana Boston February 19, 2019 at 9:35 pm #

R.I.P. sweet angel

50. k********@hotmail.com'
    Kathryn Kennedy February 19, 2019 at 9:35 pm #

My heart and thoughts are with the family.