60s Scoop settlement met with anger, confusion - APTN NewsAPTN News

60s Scoop settlement met with anger, confusion

Kathleen Martens
A long-awaited ‘60s Scoop compensation package is being met with anger and confusion.

“Government is getting off on the cheap,” said Ernie Crey, a chief of the Sto:lo Nation in B.C. “It should have been in the billions.”

The settlement announced Friday morning in Ottawa is capped at $800 million. It applies only to treaty and status Indians who will receive between $25,000 and $50,000 each for being “scooped” from their homes and placed with white families beginning in the 1960s.

Crey leaked details of the deal to APTN News last week. He predicted it would anger some survivors and he was right.

Annette Francis was on the ground as the announcement was made – watch here:

“If they start to exclude people then they have created a bigger genocide,” said Sandra Lukowich, who was adopted by strangers in Saskatchewan at the age of two.

“My mom used to scrub my knees as they grew dark with age.”

Jayson Fleury of Alberta says the deal will create division among Indigenous peoples. He was seized as a baby but has been able to reconnect with his community.

“I do not agree with these latest developments,” he said in a telephone interview.

Along with personal and cultural alienation, some of the country’s 20,000 scoop survivors say they were mentally, physically and sexually abused. Some took their own lives.

“I’ve lost younger siblings to the ‘60s Scoop. They are dead as a consequence,” said Crey, whose entire family grew up in white homes. “My stomach is churning and I am left feeling angry that government and the lawyers would basically conspire to sneak this deal through.”

Saskatchewan lawyer Tony Merchant signed up thousands of ‘60s Scoop claimants across Canada. He says this is only the first step.

“Merchant Law will now continue the 10 lawsuits in each of the provinces to obtain compensation for sexual and physical abuse to which many of these survivors were subject,” he said in a statement to APTN. “(We will also seek) additional compensation for loss of culture, and compensation for Metis and non-status Indians for whom Canada has no responsibility.”

Merchant says the package was reached between four law firms and Justice Michel Shore of the Federal

Court. Future negotiation meetings are already scheduled into 2018, he added.

“The contracts, treaties, and fairness, the right to culture, and damages when that right is taken away is the basis of this settlement,” said the statement.

Crey lobbed his harshest criticism at national Indigenous organizations, whom he said weren’t even at the negotiating table.

“I am disappointed with the major Indigenous groups who’ve only given this issue lip service,” he said, “passing toothless resolutions at their meetings and feeling good about themselves.”

kmarte@aptn.ca

@APTNNews

Tags: , , , , ,

9 Responses to “60s Scoop settlement met with anger, confusion”

1. Davidjohnmoss@hotmail.com'
    60s(79 actually) Scoop surviver October 10, 2017 at 5:01 pm #

I was taken at 6 months old. My birth mother was almost 18 my grand mother had just passed away befor my birth with no adult present Canada decided in my best interest. I should be put up for adoption, they allowed my mother to breast feed me for 6 months then take me. I grew up with my first memory’s asking why we don’t look the same. my new parents told me I wasn’t there’s. I asked every one where my parents were and one day my uncle told me my Mother was a hooker and probably died on the streets. I never had respect for myself. I am still deeply troubled I struggle all the time. I have since met my biological family and they have tried to accept me. It is hard my children suffer from my loss of connection. all I wanted growing up was a real family and I’m making the most I can out of it.

2. Whitehawkcurtis@gmail.com'
    Curtis October 9, 2017 at 12:32 am #

Ive am sixties scoop , three of us out of six sibling , 1 in the nwt , ontario , sask , the other three have passed ,L lost soooo much , i keep in touch with one brother , ghe other brother has been brain washed . And wants nithing to do with us , im the oldest now , and i walk with pain and resntment , loniness and yet im 50 now , we were taking right off the rez , thrown in the back of a 1/2 ton snd locked like a lost dog , that was in the early 70s

3. wtbird@hotmail.com'
    Ol man October 7, 2017 at 9:59 pm #

Five members of my family were literally torn away from our mother by the r.c.m.p. who fought them physically as best she could….we descended from Indian families that took no treaty cuz of distrust for the Whiteman….the settlements today for the crimes committed is an insult to our people and the government people should be facing criminal charges just like the Nazis’s had to for crimes against our Indian people….I have never been offered a settlement and I probably never will accept one if offered….

4. ghebert7@yahoo.ca'
    Greg October 7, 2017 at 7:21 am #

You can’t buy back forgiveness but you can earn respect. This is the cultural genocide that proceeded residential schools. It is a sad chapter in Canadian relations with First Nations, first generations of a legally recognized people in Canada governed under systemic racism. You can only hope that the lessons of the past create a pathway of change towards self-governance for future generations.

5. mellzue@gmail.com'
    Melanie c October 7, 2017 at 1:17 am #

I was part of the 60 scoop as well .
    I don’t know how to process this news
    . I lost my younger brother who was also scooped and sent across the country and separated. He took his own life after barely turning 19yrs.old.
    Foster homes aren’t always the best. the experiences stay with you.. the emotional and physical..it changes you as a person.
    To be made to feel inferior or that your race and culture is inferior hurts and confuses a person. I still deal with this today.

6. lorettalynn332@gmail.com'
    Loretta John October 6, 2017 at 10:51 pm #

That’s right,how does this government apply this amount. .
    Between 25000 and 5000 is chum change. .pennies in a bucket. .
    Very sad. .my trauma comes and goes on my healing journey. ,
    Life of trauma still letting and resuffering. .the lawyers have never lived my life..
    In foster care. .from the 60 Scoop.

7. Activedrywaller@Yahoo.ca'
    Frank Krawchuk October 6, 2017 at 10:34 pm #

I lost my treaty rites when I was scooped back in 1953 54 no one knew to register us ,this is so unfair,I was born on a rez.and have proof ,more over its more of their genocide,trying to disinfranchise us

8. Caroline.gaiser@yahoo.ca'
    Caroline October 6, 2017 at 10:05 pm #

My first language was German. I’m 58. The terrorist is getting 10.000.000. …oh but we get $25.000. omg. What an absolute joke!

9. jgamblin@live.ca'
    JG October 6, 2017 at 6:41 pm #

I don’t think it’s about money but at the same time I wonder why they would think that settlement makes any sense in light of the settkement they gave Omar Khdar?? How in the hell is he better and deserving of more??They were children ripped from there families, their culture, their homeland, their life, only to be treated with abuse or like slaves. Feeling shame for who they are. Taking their own lives.