APTN Investigates Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement - APTN NewsAPTN News

Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “APTN Investigates Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement”

1. Alshorting@icloud.com'
    Albert June 29, 2017 at 12:33 am #

This is true some people did not get compensation once again they were takin advantage of because they could not understand English .My wifes uncle told me he was in residential school and never received a cent I’m glad someone out there is trying to do something for the victims that never received any compensation

2. daveynic@hotmail.ca'
    David Nicholas Hall June 27, 2017 at 9:13 am #

BOB RAE,VERY INTERESTED IN CONTINUEING TO FIGHT FOR MY CHILDREN,EX-WIFE AND NEW.THEY ARE ALL SUFFERING AND FEEL HELPLESS WHICH PREVENTS THEM FROM HELPING MY GRANDCHILDREN.WHAT I RECEIVED FROM SETTLEMENT WAS GONE IN 3 WEEKS,COULDNT AFFORD TO HELP MY KIDS WHO ARE STRUGGLING AND I AM BLAMING MYSELF FOR MAYBE GIVING IN DUE TO MY WIFES BREAST CANCER AND MY MAJOR BACK SURGERY.

3. simplelifesimpleplan@hotmail.ca'
    JOE June 22, 2017 at 3:20 pm #

People claimed to be abused to get compensation is just wrong, sickening. They the so-called victim used people that are deceased as witnesses and get the compensation. While the accused gets nothing, can’t even sue for defamation. I was the accused, went to a hearing, the so-called victim used 99% of deceased people and some made up names. It wasn’t a scary hearing but disheartening. I forgive the person that said this, and he did not even stay at residence – he was was bussed in from nearby first nations. I am not sure if he got the compensation but if he did, good for him, God will do the punishment. Karma is strong and hope and pray nothing bad happens, but hope someone bites him in the ass. 2 years now and still waiting for response and they told me I would know either way within the year. 2 years

4. lpelly@shaw.ca'
    Linda Pelly June 21, 2017 at 3:50 pm #

The sad tale of further abuse was perpetuated by survivors who had to share their stories of pain and suffering (at individual hearings) to the three or four non-aboriginal people, so the survivors pain could be quantified by a number for payment. I was horrified to relive the remembering of experiences, the shame, the feeling of not being believed, and I remember clearly, the man who sat there yawning, looking bored. I had nightmares after this experience! Disgusting and sickening! This agreement has so many flaws, and so many survivors did not receive compensation appropriate to their suffering. So many just took whatever was offered without question, as I did just to get it over with.

5. terryraelebreton@gmail.com'
    Terry-Rae June 20, 2017 at 10:08 am #

I totally agree that there have been many survivors left out and more supportive services need to be made available. I do not agree that monies helped ease their pains in anyway nor will a simple apology. Counselling, programs and education is needed to help start the healing. We can’t go back but we can acknowledge the past and begin to move forward.

6. Neilcalliou@gmail.com'
    Neil June 20, 2017 at 2:07 am #

Thank you Paul for bringing this to the people’s attention. My family dealt with this first hand. A country full of redneck rasists could care less though.

7. Nekiney_2008@Hotmail.com'
    Roberta June 20, 2017 at 12:03 am #

I never got compensation for being in a residential school! Was told they send me a letter! Which I never received! They gave me a bunch of run around! What can I do about it? Thanks!

8. harold_cook12@yahoo.com'
    Harold Cook June 19, 2017 at 9:22 pm #

I am a sexual abuse victim from Grollier Hall in Inuvik, NWT and told both Fr. ruyant and sister hebert the morning that it happened and was not believed and both told me that people of God dont do that. My matter went to court February 98 and wish that Fr. ruyant and sister hebert to hear the guilty plea and the abuser was 62 years old…….called an old man by his defense lawyer. I am going to do the manuscript of the trials that cam as result of the RCMP investigation. My settlement was bare bones in comparison to what is being offered to victims now a days……