Promise to dying mother sees daughter take on ‘rigged’ band council to bring her family home - APTN NewsAPTN News

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Promise to dying mother sees daughter take on ‘rigged’ band council to bring her family home”

1. tracnbc@hotmail.com'
    tracy March 11, 2017 at 9:26 pm #

My grandfather was Oliver Peters of Peters Island he is buried there in the Peter’s reserve he died long before I was ever born my father was Donald Bob Peters , my father and his siblings were orphaned and ended up in Scowlitz. As it is right now I don’t know my Peters Family some history would be incredible to learn

2. djf7858@gmail.com'
    Darlene Fraser February 22, 2017 at 3:08 pm #

Keep strong there Daryl and Sam. I’m very proud of you guys to finally open the doors to the nepotism, greed and corruption that’s happening on most First-Nation bands. There are not too many honest leaders out there anymore and that is totally sickening. How can one honestly cheat your own family and members out of what they deserve. I’ve been fighting this for years and it’s ongoing, just repetitive and agonizing.
    Our band received millions of dollars for that pipeline and we had alot of Revenue, but where did it go. We got $2500 and the leaders get the rest. We had alot of Revenue $$ put away, they say, for years. But there’s nothing, no promised gas station or store nor campgrounds. All talk.
    I’d like to see our tax $$ and Revenue $$ get sent out individually to band members, instead of one big cheque to administration which mysteriously goes into their accounts.
    Way to go Daryl and Sam Peters, my hands up to yous. Keep strong.

3. sandygirl266@hotmail.com'
    Sandy Jones February 22, 2017 at 12:49 am #

WOW. . . .I can’t believe this is happening in this day and age. After decades of abuse by the government and others, this reserve is now continuing the abuse to its own people. To the Chief and Council of the Peters Reserve, you must accept these your relatives on to the membership of this reserve. Some are former members , some are children of current members. . . .they are all Peters YOUR COUSINS. . . .it’s fine to have self government but in this instance you are just afraid of losing control and that is not democracy.

• shellyseward89@gmail.com'
      shell February 22, 2017 at 7:07 am #

Yes, I agree

4. raydair@shaw.ca'
    patricia raymond-adair February 21, 2017 at 6:32 pm #

The strength and courage of Samantha Peters to continue on with her grandmothers and mother’s dying wish to bring justice, equality and recognition for our extended Peters family is appreciated and we raise our hands to her and our fellow cousins. Over the past five years family had started to gather, initially to share our history and experiences with our Chief and Council. What started with a few of us grew to more than 20 meeting and further with emails, phone calls and facebook.
    It has been Samantha that has been our ‘glue’ to keep us motivated, committed and believing that after 70 years change can happen! On behalf of the Lorenzetto Family who have been denied recognition for four generations now – we thank Samantha, her partner Darryl and family, as well as APTN reporter Kenneth and Cameraman Luke for taking the time, the effort and the willingness to listen, to report on this situation with many many issues. I am sure there are many other First Nation Bands across Canada experiencing this same shameful behaviour and we need to change that and INAC for their lack of support. INAC Vancouver has boxes of information, concerns and complaints from many of our Peters’ band families who have been denied any recognition from our band. I was told a few years back that the past retired INAC employee pasted on info to his replacement who said this is an old ongoing issue.. Never resolved……. 🙁

5. hometreelhs@gmail.com'
    Darryl Kipp February 21, 2017 at 5:51 pm #

I had thought that I might feel remorse once this story got published. I do not.

Jackson has captured the realtime nuances of what it’s like to be a Peters family member.

As far as their ancestral ties to Peters Reserve are concerned, the families of Ed and Robert Peters are being extinguished as we speak, not to mention a number of others being completely shunned and disregarded, such as the families of Neil and Lee Peters, and others like Carol Raymond.

In my own first-hand experiences with Chief and Council: they had dozens of opportunities to say “yes” to their Cousins’ applications for Membership. They did not. The remorse is theirs to feel, not anyone else’s.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that we have a GoFundMe campaign, as well as a Facebook page, both under the name of Peters v. Peters, where you can access more info about the issues here on the Rez.

My hands go up to Kenneth Jackson and Luke Smith for deftly capturing our reality.

O Siyam.

• areid@netcast.ca'
      Amie February 22, 2017 at 12:50 am #

Thank you for adding your insight. I hope that all those that are not members of this band soon gain legal member status.

6. Shirlene@live.co.uk'
    Shirlene February 21, 2017 at 5:16 pm #

I would like to contribute to a legal defence fund to assist this young woman fight for her people’s right. How can APTN or someone set this up or take donations for such a fund.

• deb209guy@hotmail.com'
      Debbie February 22, 2017 at 12:17 am #

Hi Shirleen I am Guy Peters spouse you can go to the
      GoFundMe Peters v. Peters to donate to help with legal defence, thank you for viewing this story we need to get it out there so people can see what kind of corrupt band this is….My hands go up to you for offering your help….:)