APTN National News
This week, APTN National News is running a three part series on hunting and treaty rights in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
Running into authorities can be stressful, even when you haven’t done anything wrong.
Knowing your rights may help keep your blood pressure in check.
Here are 10 do’s and don’ts if stopped by a conservation officer that may keep money, and the keys to your vehicle, in your wallet.
The Do’s …
- Keep calm. Be polite.
- Ask why you are being stopped.
- Ask if there is a specific section of the Wild Life Act you are in contravention of.
- Ask for the Conservation Officer’s business car, name, badge number.
- Know where Crown land is.
The Don’ts …
- Do not shine a light while on the road or highway.
- Never shoot from your vehicle.
- Don’t shoot on private property.
- Don’t escalate a situation.
- If arrested and charged, never make a statement.
Follow Trina Roache’s stories on hunting and treaties.