Students abused by other students at residential schools to be compensated: Bennett - APTN NewsAPTN News

The Canadian Press
OTTAWA – More than 200 former residential school students who suffered abuse at the hands of other students will receive compensation from the federal government.

Crown- Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett says the government is embarking on a negotiated settlement with 240 students who she says may not have received fair compensation under the previous process.

Under the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement in 2005, the government agreed to compensation of more than $3 billion for 38,000 former students who were victims of abuse.

However, the process imposed a higher bar for claims of student-on-student abuse and many of those victims were denied compensation for never having reported the abuse to a teacher at the time – a condition that was not required of survivors who were abused by religious staff or teachers.

Truth and Reconciliation Commissioner Murray Sinclair says the student-on-student abuse was one of the untold stories of the residential school tragedy with many victims afraid to come forward even during the commission hearings because they were often still living in the same community as their abuser.

Residential schools were run for more than a century by the churches on behalf of the federal government as a way to assimilate Indigenous children; in 2008, the government apologized formally to survivors of the schools for the efforts to break them of their languages and culture, ripping them away from their families and in many cases, subjecting them to physical, sexual and psychological abuse.

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Students abused by other students at residential schools to be compensated: Bennett”

Richard mark March 14, 2018 at 12:03 am #

I live in Northern Quebec , I resided in Residential school at Latuque Quebec. When I went to my hearing , in Montreal Qc it was rejected to charge student to student. My Lawyer from the firm Bronstein & Company.from Vancouver has all my documents .My Lawyer told me not to talk about it and he was in a rush to finish my case.
    Now I hear Bronstein & company no longer have cases for former students.
    Anyways , I feel I was push aside , and I still today feel case was rushed and not fair. How do I apply

Wayne March 16, 2018 at 11:50 am #

I too feel rushed to Finnish by my lawyer I had a bad experience with older students that bother me to this day n have trouble getting work because of it I just don’t believe we were compensated enough for what I went through I hated that place so much for what they did to me how can I apply

roland peter March 14, 2018 at 1:54 am #

who do we talk to about other students abusing other students? need to know so I can talk ro someone now about it.

Carmen March 14, 2018 at 2:18 am #

What if we never applied because we were told it didnt count??

Brian March 14, 2018 at 9:38 pm #

Same here happened to me

Charles Ross March 14, 2018 at 11:04 pm #

I was bullied and beaten by other students at the Alberni School, the staff knew of this but only watched.

Norman.Eninew March 14, 2018 at 11:52 pm #

Where can i get more info and who can i talk to about this matter.

Julia McKay March 16, 2018 at 4:40 am #

This is a never ending process of the abuses by students suffered in the residential schools . Where is the so called justice for the day schools students who suffered just as much as these students?

Lesley March 16, 2018 at 2:49 pm #

Yea I was told this couldn’t be done.

Amber March 18, 2018 at 12:46 am #

I was bullied in school where’s my money

Glenda Derzaph March 18, 2018 at 3:16 am #

I went to residential school in grade 3 got beaten by a big girl in the girls bathroom she was jealous of me. The person that interviewed me took my statement but I got a letter later on denying my claim as it was student abuse. How do I apply for this compensation. Thanks for your consideration.