APTN Investigates: The Children Taken Away - APTN NewsAPTN News

APTN Investigates: The Children Taken Away

John Murray
APTN Investigates
On October 6th, 2017, the Government of Canada announced a settlement for survivors of the Sixties Scoop.

On the episode of APTN Investigates, reporter John Murray looks at the $800 million agreement and the history behind it. Is it another check mark for reconciliation, or an slight nod to a flawed system that failed historically and continues to fail today?

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “APTN Investigates: The Children Taken Away”

1. cmfmcfarlane@gmail.com'
    Connie January 30, 2018 at 12:59 am #

I don’t want money. I want them to tell me where my younger sister and brother are. That’s a question that deserves an answer.

2. Aubinc@cactuscom.com'
    Claudeaubin January 31, 2018 at 5:58 pm #

Les metis du Quebec souffre toujours de l.inertie du gouvernement provincial a reconnaître l’existence des metis dans cette province et du gouvernement fédéral a appuyé le processus du nettoyage ethnique entrepris par la Metis Ntion anglaise sous le regime dictatorial de son leadership sous la direction du président Chartier qui s’obstine aussi a dire publiquement q’il N’y a pas de METIS au Quebec. Nous aussi nous avons nos scoop Metis mais du fait que nous avons aucun financement pour consulter notre population personne ne nous consulte car pour tout ce beau monde on existe pas. Une grande solitude Metis causée par le Metis national council et les gouvernements.

3. williamjosephpelly@outlook.com'
    William Joseph Pelly January 31, 2018 at 6:50 pm #

The presenter eloquently expresses the hardship of this agreement for us survivors.

I quote – “the government is hinging a settlement for loss of identity on a claimant’s identity”.

Today my search has taken over fifty (50) years. My mother if alive would be 75 years old.

Any settlement must acknowleged that many survivors need assistance in compiling records and releasing documents to prove their identity.

4. celinadavidaf@gmail.com'
    Celina M Fisher February 2, 2018 at 9:29 am #

Racist bull s*** they did app this on purpose!!

5. Duckbaywoman@hotmail.com'
    Mable February 3, 2018 at 6:16 pm #

My twin sisters were also sold had a horrible life in the USA and they don’t get any settlement because we’re Metis they both suffered as anybody else her also suffered when they were taken from us for no reason at all

6. beebeelucy@gmail.com'
    Lucy February 3, 2018 at 11:52 pm #

I wonder how many of those children are still missing now as adults..And if they ever will be found..There is not much as changed now with the new laws that are now put in place..That is why people need to raise more awareness and educate themselves so these things can be prevented..Today with the resources out there these things should not happen..

• owlandturtlejapan@yahoo.com'
      Heidi Beck February 6, 2018 at 12:55 am #

OF COURSE! pRAYERS FOR YOU cONNIE!

7. kathelegrange@msn.com'
    Katherine February 6, 2018 at 3:18 pm #

Perhaps the MMF and David Chartrand should engage with survivors before claiming to represent us!

8. elizabethannecardinal@yahoo.ca'
    LIZ February 7, 2018 at 11:22 am #

I’d like to have my late brother here today but that’s not possible cause he commìted suicide in foster care! I also hope to find my little sister that got adopted after being taken by child services. We would have grown up together the 7 of us but we were all taken n put in different foster homes..
    However, I climbed out my bdrm window n ran away n hiked to Edmonton, Alberta, getting away from the abusive foster parents! Now I want to be reunited with my 5 siblings n hope my mother gets to see her children again. Its not about the money for me.

• thurlowcottage@yahoo.ca'
      SH February 9, 2018 at 2:09 am #

My heart is with you Liz.