Dozens of 60s Scoop survivors took to the streets of Winnipeg Friday morning to raise awareness about the ongoing issues they face.
That includes a recent proposed settlement reached with Ottawa.
Carla Williams/Sixties Scoop survivor (01:38:52-01:39:03)
“We had no say in this whatsoever,” said survivor Carla Williams. “We are looking for a lawyer and we are going to put a stop to this and go at it again. Keep fighting.”
About 40 people joined the march that comes less than a month after the deal with Canada was signed .
In early October, Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett announced the government would set aside $800-million for survivors.
Another $75-million would go towards legal fees.
A petition to stop the proposed settlement was started online earlier this week.
Concerns over the amount of money going to lawyers was one of the main reasons for the petition.
“The lawyers are receiving $75 million for doing nothing and we’re stuck with peanuts after everything we’ve been through,” said Williams.
Jocelyn Bourbonnais is also a survivor.
She’s upset that Metis people were not included in the settlement.
“The Metis people have been left out in spite of the fact that we’re all considered Indigenous under the current government laws so another struggle and I guess we’ll see what happens as a result of it,” she said.
Debbie Deveau-Lapka said the government doesn’t understand what they went through.
“The government needs to understand what we have gone through and to help us and acknowledge that yes we were stolen, we were kidnapped,” she said.
She said she hopes to one day see a national day set aside to honour survivors.
Contact Brittany here: email@example.com