60s Scoop survivors take to the streets of Winnipeg - APTN NewsAPTN News

60s Scoop survivors take to the streets of Winnipeg

SCOOP-RALLY-1000-X-562

Brittany Hobson
Dozens of 60s Scoop survivors took to the streets of Winnipeg Friday morning to raise awareness about the ongoing issues they face.

That includes a recent proposed settlement reached with Ottawa.

Carla Williams/Sixties Scoop survivor (01:38:52-01:39:03)
“We had no say in this whatsoever,” said survivor Carla Williams. “We are looking for a lawyer and we are going to put a stop to this and go at it again. Keep fighting.”

About 40 people joined the march that comes less than a month after the deal with Canada was signed .

In early October, Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett announced the government would set aside $800-million for survivors.

Another $75-million would go towards legal fees.

A petition to stop the proposed settlement was started online earlier this week.

Concerns over the amount of money going to lawyers was one of the main reasons for the petition.

“The lawyers are receiving $75 million for doing nothing and we’re stuck with peanuts after everything we’ve been through,” said Williams.

Jocelyn Bourbonnais is also a survivor.

She’s upset that Metis people were not included in the settlement.

“The Metis people have been left out in spite of the fact that we’re all considered Indigenous under the current government laws so another struggle and I guess we’ll see what happens as a result of it,” she said.

Debbie Deveau-Lapka said the government doesn’t understand what they went through.

“The government needs to understand what we have gone through and to help us and acknowledge that yes we were stolen, we were kidnapped,” she said.

She said she hopes to one day see a national day set aside to honour survivors.

Contact Brittany here: bhobson@aptn.ca

Tags: , , , , ,

6 Responses to “60s Scoop survivors take to the streets of Winnipeg”

1. Caroline.gaiset@yahoo.ca'
    Caroline October 27, 2017 at 11:06 pm #

Oh I totally agree. Some convicted terrorist gets $10,000,000 and we get a slap in the face. They’re hoping that most of us will die before we get it or will not sign up, or are living on the streets.

• lynn.thompson68@gmail.com'
      Lynn Thompson October 28, 2017 at 3:40 pm #

Again I will say this Metis are included on claims and Ontario is the only province thus far that have not included Non-Status and Metis and this claim is only for Adoptees! I hope that we survivors can get on the same page and 50 million to a foundation is not what is need and the statement about 75 million to lawyers to made up and no where in our class action suite does it mention paying our lawyer 75 million. We have caps on each lawyer and I am now seeing how wrong information is circulating among us and how much the media is to blame. Come you survivors lets get our information correct and those of that have lead this for years do our jobs and finish what we started over 25 years ago. Lets not let the media conquer and divide us by getting such wrong information about our claims and law suite! Hiy hiy

• uzzymuzz77@live.com'
      Scotty October 28, 2017 at 10:29 pm #

I am Eastern Metis with documented ancestry going back to Wendat women in Quebec circa the 1600’s.I am not a Scoop survivor so I have no personal vested interest in any settlement the Federal Government proposes.I do object to the secrecy that the Liberals maintained while they talked to first nations and Inuit. The Metis were totally excluded essentially just slapped in the face by a Minister who wears Indigenous motifs and loves to display her enlightenment and supposed solidarity. The rationale for exclusion is totally bogus for if the provincial governments were involved than it was solely because the Federal Government in the past totally abrogated their sole fiduciary duty to the Metis and other non status aborigunals hence the mess we have have now. Personally reconciliation is dead for me as of last week!

2. way2qt2bstr8t30@yahoo.ca'
    Allan Clark October 28, 2017 at 3:36 pm #

This proposed “settlement” and the “settlement” I received from Alberta Child Welfare is an insult and slap to the face, only enduring more abuse… And Yah some fucktard terrorist gets $10.5 million and We are supposed to just accept this bullshit crap they are stuffing in our face…

3. Makwaclan@gmail.com'
    Wallet Richard Deer Man October 28, 2017 at 9:04 pm #

Love my fellow survivors ! I wish I could join you and I can barely walk after all the time and so I went through and all that homes. I pray for those people and I pray for us also that we all will begin to you. Please know I love you and I’m with you in spirit

4. nikbasha1@gmail.com'
    Conservative Thoughts October 31, 2017 at 2:19 pm #

Well let put it this way.
    Why LIBERALS say that they will set aside $800mil and equal amount $750mil for legal fees. Where are they finding this money. Crazy LIBERALS and at the end of the day no one is getting any money all is going to just try to keep the voters closer to their wallet. I wish that all the people who were effected should be paid and provided support. What my issue is that why are they setting up a fixed amount.
    “Yes the budget will take care of it itself.”
    Taxes going higher and we should spend $750 million In legal fees. Is that suppose to be a good idea?
    Dumb decision.