Autumn Peltier up for Nobel children's prize - APTN NewsAPTN News

Autumn Peltier up for Nobel children’s prize

Autumn Peltier, flanked by AFN National Chief Perry Bellegarde and AFN Elder Elmer Courchene presents a water bundle to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in December 2016.

Jorge Barrera
Autumn Peltier, a 13-year-old Wikwemikong girl who tearfully pleaded with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to protect the water is up for an international award.

Autumn Peltier’s name came to be known across the country after she presented Trudeau with a water bundle of a copper bowl, a red cloth, tobacco and a small copper cup during an Assembly of First Nations meeting in December 2016. During the gift presentation, Peltier told Trudeau she was “unhappy” with his decision to approve the Kinder Morgan pipeline in British Columbia.

Now Peltier is up for the International Children’s Peace Prize, known as the Nobel Prize for children. She is the only child out of 169 nominees from Canada.

“When I found out that I was nominated for the award I was really excited and I am really excited to find out if I win or not,” said Peltier. “If I don’t win I am still really happy to be doing the work I am doing.”

Peltier has dedicated herself to campaigning for water protection. This past July she was in Regina during the AFN’s general assembly to sign a treaty against the expansion of Alberta’s bitumen fields.

“I like to speak for the water because the water doesn’t have a voice,” said Peltier. “If nobody speaks up what will the water and environment be like in 10 to 20 years? What if we don’t have clean drinking water anywhere? We would all die if we didn’t have clean drinking water.”

Peltier said she hopes others will join in her struggle to protect water around the world.

“The reason I advocate for this is to inspire people to come together and try and purify the water,” said Peltier.

She still remembers that day last December when she got her moment to speak directly to Trudeau. In an interview shortly after it happened Peltier described the encounter.

“When I went up there, I was standing with the Elder, listening to what he was saying and I was told to give the prime minister the water bundle,” Peltier said, at the time. “And I said something to him. I said, ‘I am very unhappy with the choices you’ve made.’ And he said, ‘I understand that.’ And I started crying and all I got to say after that was, ‘the pipelines.’”

Looking back, Peltier, who is from Wikwemikong, on Manitoulin Island in Ontario, said she didn’t know what she was going to tell the prime minister at the time and the words just tumbled out.

“When I went up to give him the gift I didn’t what I was going to do. I just had this feeling. I guess my spirit just wanted to say something while I was there and it was an opportunity to just say it,” said Peltier. “When I think about what I said I am just trying to help my people and help my environment and it makes me feel proud.”

The KidsRights organization will announce the winner of the prize Nov. 10.

jbarrera@aptn.ca

@JorgeBarrera

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “Autumn Peltier up for Nobel children’s prize”

1. tom.woodlandprinters@gmail.com'
    tom duncan October 10, 2017 at 7:41 pm #

Brave young Lady indeed!

• nancycarlson.canada@gmail.com'
      Nancy Carlson October 12, 2017 at 4:08 am #

Autumn you are on your way to making a huge, positive difference in the world. People are wanting to know more about the state of the water in our precious precious world. They may not be ready to hear the very sad truth about how “sick” our most precious commodity is, but its time that the truth gets revealed along side of a solution. You probably already know how wonderful nature is and how well botanicals work to clean contaminated water. If you haven’t seen what Moringa Oleifer Seeds can do; you tube; Moringa Oleifera and How it cleans water. Keep your hopes up Autumn, there are many of us who stand with you and will speak for the water with you.

• joannehusak123@gmail.com'
        Joe October 13, 2017 at 4:59 pm #

I positively agree with you Nancy. Nice comment.

2. Suzannepelletier62@GMAIL.com'
    Sue Pelletier October 10, 2017 at 7:42 pm #

That’s great good luck Autumn Peltier

3. sscarrow@braininstitute.ca'
    Sonya October 11, 2017 at 3:14 pm #

Thank you for what you are doing on behalf of all persons in Canada and the whole world.

4. karo_lin2014@yahoo.com'
    Karo evans October 12, 2017 at 2:51 pm #

Grand reward!

5. lcmunro5@gmail.com'
    Lorraine Cameron-munro October 12, 2017 at 7:26 pm #

Tanisi You are a brave warrior . I would like to share your speech in m seminar I as doing on traditional knowledge and what water means to Indigenous people of Canadaand the world. all the best to us and meegwetch

6. Askiiskwew@gmail.com'
    Starchild-Earthwoman October 13, 2017 at 4:23 am #

You are an awakened soul, Autumn, and many more have work to do to save our Mother Earth. Be strong and stay focused as you grow up, develop your skills and abilities using science and public speaking to be a “Water Spirit” helper. Much love and admiration of your ‘warrior spirit’.

7. kalenelouise@gmail.com'
    kalene bourque October 14, 2017 at 5:28 am #

Awesome! You go girl! Autumn is the rising guiding star that will lead us though this dark time. May the Creator bless her
    and keep her safe, healthy, and strong. The whole world needs her!

8. vijake@hotmail.com'
    Vicki Meyers October 17, 2017 at 5:25 am #

This young lady is a gift from the Creator. I pray that soon, more than Prime Minister Trudeau listen to her words. Water has become more and more scarce on our planet as the years of my life have passed. There were, and continue to be intense droughts around the world. Please, please, please, listen to this child and her pleas. Thank you.