‘Proud Boys’ return to regular duty with no charges after disrupting Mi’kmaq ceremony - APTN NewsAPTN News

‘Proud Boys’ return to regular duty with no charges after disrupting Mi’kmaq ceremony



APTN National News
Five members of the Canadian Armed Forces – and the so-called “Proud Boys” – will not be charged following a military police investigation into the disruption of an Mi’kmaq ceremony in Halifax last month.

Four members are cleared to return to regular duty, while one has left the armed forces.

Gen. Jonathan Vance, chief of the defence staff, said he expects more from members.

“I expect every CAF member to learn from this situation and demonstrate professionalism and proper conduct, both in and out of uniform. We are the nation’s protectors, and need to act as such,” said Vance.

Five armed forces members disrupted a Mi’kmaw ceremony at a statue of controversial Nova Scotia governor Edward Cornwallis on July 1.

A video of the incident shows five men interacting with spectators at the ceremony.

“This is a British colony,” one of the men say in the video. “You’re recognizing the heritage and so are we.”

In the video, one of the spectators appears to hold an upside-down Canadian flag, which someone implies has been marked with the word “decolonize.”

A voice is heard on the video saying that “this was Mi’kmaq territory – it is now Canada.”

Asked if the group is associated with an organization, one of the men in the video say, “The Proud Boys, Maritime chapter.”

The members were relieved of their duties and re-assigned to other jobs, pending the results of a military police investigation.

Rear-Admiral John Newton, Commander Joint Task Force Atlantic and Maritime Forces, released a statement Thursday calling the members behaviour inconsistent with what is expected.

“Any further inappropriate behaviour could result in their termination from the Canadian Armed Forces,” said Newton.

Cornwallis, as governor of Nova Scotia, founded Halifax in 1749 and soon after issued a bounty on Mi’kmaq scalps in response to an attack on colonists.

Some members of the Mi’kmaq community have called for the removal of tributes to Cornwallis, calling his actions a form of genocide.

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to “‘Proud Boys’ return to regular duty with no charges after disrupting Mi’kmaq ceremony”

  1. fuckyou@hotmail.com'
    angry canadian August 31, 2017 at 10:04 pm #

    This confirms that the Canadian military is racist.

    I am sure they will get promoted eventually just as the airborne 101 rapists and murderers of Sidaine Arone. The Canadian military is made up of racists. This is why their deaths should be celebrated whenever it happens.

    • pbhb@hotmail.com'
      Pete Witheld September 1, 2017 at 5:32 pm #

      You are a POS and unworthy to breathe the air you steal from the majority of the men and women who serve this country. Please preface your witty retort by detailing anything you have done in the service of this country fist, please.

  2. bruno1968331@hotmail.com'
    Bobby Sands August 31, 2017 at 11:11 pm #

    Freedom of speech guys. You can’t take issue with another person’s opinions. That’s the problem with protests these days.

    • elizabethblock@netzero.net'
      Elizabeth Block September 1, 2017 at 11:36 pm #

      Then they should take off their uniforms – or be stripped of them. If they’re in the Canadian Armed Forces, they should behave themselves like decent people.

    • Nmichelle@live.com'
      Michelle September 7, 2017 at 12:34 pm #

      It wasn’t freedom of speech issue. It was a deliberate attempt to inflame and interupt a religious ceremony.

  3. sue_stroud@hotmail.com'
    Sue Stroud September 1, 2017 at 3:56 pm #

    Why are their no consequences? My father was in the military and was appalled by incidents like this. What re-education will be done to ensure the 4 remaining never take to this again? Who will be following up with them year after year? What work must they do in the community they harmed to make up for their disgusting racism?

  4. j.shep1917@gmail.com'
    Jonathan Shepherd September 3, 2017 at 1:10 am #

    some of those who work forces are the same who burn crosses.

  5. muskwa2012@gmail.com'
    oldman brando September 3, 2017 at 3:24 pm #

    I am certain rules and proper conduct is in the minds of these boys? Therefore, their behavior and actions should be held accountable. By allowing the behavior and actions to be held unaccountable, sends the wrong message whether you are a citizen of majority or minority.

  6. muskwa2012@gmail.com'
    oldman brando September 3, 2017 at 6:53 pm #

    Condone behavior for “Bad boys opposed to being “Proud boys?”

  7. danielwall@earthlink.net'
    northierthanthou September 6, 2017 at 7:34 am #

    Fascism is not patriotism.