Common theme at MMIW public hearings - residential schools and violence linked - APTN NewsAPTN News

Common theme at MMIW public hearings – residential schools and violence linked

Shirley McLean
APTN National News
Throughout the three days of hearings at the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls, one common threat was the violence learned at residential schools, carried on into the lives of survivors.

smclean@aptn.ca

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Common theme at MMIW public hearings – residential schools and violence linked”

1. andre-leonard@usa.com'
    Andre Leonard June 3, 2017 at 4:44 am #

Natives the world over who suffered at the hands of colonist/churches/missionaries and their governments must acknowledge the generational curse ‘their’ physical, sexual and psychological abuse plays out years later.

2. AVROARROW08@YAHOO.CA'
    BILL BROWN June 3, 2017 at 5:23 am #

ENOUGH MOVE ON

• diana_bui12@hotmail.com'
      Alfred M. June 5, 2017 at 6:04 pm #

We’ve been telling indigenous people to “move on” for years and it’s not doing anything to move forward with suffering, so we have to try something different that works for them (not us THEM). If telling them to move on is all you have to offer , then go look in the mirror and shut up, its a useless suggestion. Bill brown you’re just racist or something and its your responsibility to develop a good conscience. Much Thanks.

• babycook65@gmail.com'
        NORA June 6, 2017 at 12:30 pm #

well said,Alfred….telling someone to ‘move on’,after suffering years of torture/abuse is so ignorant,and demeaning..hopefully,the same people who make this comment learn the real effects the residential ‘jail’ system had on its survivors.That same system operated for over 100 years,I’m hoping it doesn’t take that same time period for people to stop telling us to ‘get over it’

• vlloydjames@yahoo.ca'
      DevilDog June 15, 2017 at 4:52 pm #

You come here from the British Isles, get free land from the government, just so the Americans don’t settle it. You accept the rule of law in Canada. Part of that rule of law is to live by the obligations of the treaties of which you and your kind have not even lived by.

We should just scrap the treaties and take back our territory, I wonder how you, Bill Brown would survive once the Canadian dollar plummets to the level of the peso…and you are left to your own devices.

Honestly, our chiefs should just start dealing with foreign powers without notification to the occupational government, I bet Putin would be a better option over what we have now.

3. vernawallace98@yahoo.ca'
    Verna Wallace June 3, 2017 at 3:29 pm #

Verna Wallace If it wasn’t for my Kristy I wouldn’t be here to tell our story.So honoured to have her on this journey with me .My sister Selina Violet Wallace has been missing since Feb 1971 from Cape Mudge on Vancouver Island.Selina was also a I.R.S survivor. All our Murdered and missing women and girls are intergeneration survivors of the I.R.S.Since the Inquiry of MMIW when they had it in Vancouver there are more MMIW .I don’t know how we are to stop this but we have to keep trying.I’m pretty sure my sister Selina’s story is the same as mine since we were in the same DAMN school in Alert Bay B.C

4. rudy.moffat@yahoo.de'
    www.linux.ca June 11, 2017 at 1:02 am #

Ꮤell boys,? Mommy lastly mentioned aftr theyd come up with numerous foolish iideas of whnat Ԍod did for fun, ?Wһat God really likes iss whԀn ffolks love
    onee anotҺer and take care of еach other ⅼike we do in our family.?
    That made sense to Lee and Larry so Lee hugged Mommy and Larry hugged daddy to simply make Goⅾ
    happy.